There are so many companies who don’t have any obligation to have a regular check up or inspection of a fire extinguisher. There are so many people who are wondering about this fact that why these companies fail in the inspection of their own fire extinguishers. After all, a fire extinguisher has seldom used the device, so how can it need inspection or service?
Probability is there that every day you see a fire extinguisher, but the main question is how vigilantly do you look at it? Even one fault in the tank can alter the outcome. According to the NFPA, nearly 35 percent of fire extinguishers are not in appropriate functioning condition. Energy and Fire’s twelve-point check can certify your company’s compliance. However, there are 5 main reasons why companies fail a fire extinguisher inspection: –
1. Concealed Damage– Corrosion or damage can ensue over time in hard to see areas of the extinguisher, for example, corrosion surrounded by the tank. That is when an expert steps in and scrutinizes the extinguisher inside and out. Energy and Fire will also visually and thoroughly observe the extinguisher making it definite so that it is free of dents, oxidation or other hazards.
2. Possible Hose Blockage– Debris can block the hose or decline of the O-rings can occur over time, rendering a fire extinguisher inept in an emergency. Energy and Fire will detach the hose completely to check for abnormalities.
3. Potential Leaks– Whether large or small, a leak will cause the fire extinguisher to be unworkable. Anyone can check the pressure gauge to establish if there is a leak. However, if there is no heaviness weigh, you will require a expert. Energy and Fire will ratify the compression in the tank.
4. Wear/Fading of Labels– Label is crucial when fighting the fire because they hold guidelines on how to use the extinguisher. They also deliver critical information about the device’s maintenance history, which is required by inspection professionals. Once your fire extinguisher examination is comprehensive, the labels will be restructured, and an additional certification tag will be attached.
5. Recharge Required– Once a fire extinguisher is expended, even partly; it will need to be recharged straightaway. While during a fire it will be failed to work efficiently if you got failed to recharge the extinguisher.
Although these are the normal concern companies fail to inspect fire extinguisher, there are other possible vulnerabilities also. It is indispensable to keep on up-to-date with your fire extinguisher inspections. The NFPA necessitates inspection every month and upkeep every year by an expert. In addition, a stored pressure extinguisher demands internal maintenance every six years and a hydrostatic test every 11 years.
It takes a spark for a fire to start and then a minute to spread and cause unsalvageable damage to your company—which is also the same amount of time it takes to schedule a fire extinguisher inspection and avoid a disaster.
Energy and Fire can fulfil all safety needs by providing fire safety equipment and installation services for companies as well as homes. They have fire extinguishers for all classes of fire.