What’s QuickBooks Error 1904 and How to Resolve it?
QuickBooks error 1904 appears when users try to install QuickBooks desktop application. It comes up with an error message ”Error 1904: [file path / name / extension] failed to register.” QuickBooks error 1904 may also arise when the system and files folders are not maintained properly. The error indicates QuickBooks fails to register the file name. The error may occur because of incorrect file setting or damage in the company file.
If you’re looking for an immediate solution to fix QuickBooks error 1904, we suggest you to contact certified QuickBooks team by calling us on our customer service number (TFN)
Best Possible Solutions to fix QuickBooks error 1904
Given below are the most efficient solution to get rid of QuickBooks error 1904:
Solution 1. Try to run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool
QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool help users to fix the installation issues, to use the tool you need to downloads and install QuickBooks Tool Hub:
- Exit QuickBooks on your desktop.
- Download the latest version of QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Now, open the downloaded QuickBooksToolHub.exe file.
- Install the tool hub by following the on-screen instructions.
- To complete the installation, you need to agree to the terms and conditions.
- You can open the tool hub by double-clicking the QuickBooks Tool Hub icon.
Run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool:
- Open up QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Click Installation Issues tab.
- Next, click on QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool.
- The tool will run and repair the installation issues.
- Reboot the workstation and reopen QuickBooks after the tool finishes.
If you still get QuickBooks error 1904, try Solution 2.
Solution 2. Change the Windows Account Settings
To change the settings, you need to log in Windows as an Administrator. First follow the steps to switch to Windows Administrator Account:
- Click on the Windows Start menu.
- Write CMD in te search.
- After seeing the command run icon, right-click and choose Run as administrator option.
- In the command window, type “net user administrator/active:yes” and hit Enter.
- Close the command window after the command completes.
- Again, click on Start and select the sign out option.
- Choose the Administrator account and sign in. You won’t need a password to log in.
Now, follow the steps to change the user permissions:
- Open up the Windows Start menu again.
- Open File Explorer and look for C:\Program Files\Common Files.
- Next, right-click on the Common Files folder and choose Properties.
- Move to the Security tab, and select Edit.
- Select Users from the Group or Users name section.
- Turn on the Modify, Read & Execute , Read, Write,and List folder contents permissions.
- Click Apply, then OK to save the changes.
Reinstall QuickBooks desktop and log out by following the steps given below:
- Install QuickBooks software and click on Start.
- Sign out of the administrative account.
- After that, log in with your usual account.
- Open Windows Start menu again and type ‘cmd’ in the search.
- Right-click on the command run window and select Run as administrator.
- In the command window, write “net user administrator/ active:no” and tap Enter.
- This will hide your Administrative account.
Try to open QuickBooks with a regular account. If the error persists, try following solution.
Solution 3. Fix the Windows components manually
Repair Microsoft .NET Framework
Following are the steps for Windows 8,8.1 and 10:
- Close all the running programs.
- Click on Start and open Control Panel.
- Move to the Programs and Features and choose Uninstall a Program.
- Next, click Turn Windows feature on or off option.
- Look for .NET Framework from the list.
Repair Microsoft MSXML
Given below are short steps to repair the Microsoft MSXML:
- First, you need to register the MSXML DLL files.
- Repair MSXML 6.0.
- Next, download and install the MSXML 6.0 SP1.
- After that, uninstall and reinstall MSXML 6.0
Try to install QuickBooks again. If it installs successfully, error is resolved.
Special Cases that trigger QuickBooks error 1904
Given below are some special cases behind QuickBooks error 1904. Follow the specific steps for each case:
You’re using Bitdefender
1.Add QuickBooks software to Bitdefender tool.
2.Add “C:\Program Files\Common Files” if you’re using 32-bit Windows operating system.
3.Add “C:\Program Files\Intuit (C:\Program Files(x86)\Intuit” if you’re using 64-bit Windows operating system.
You’ve recently installed Adobe Flash
- Run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool from QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- After it finishes, click on Windows Start menu.
- Open Control Panel and click Uninstall a program.
- Next, select Adobe Flash Player Active X from the list of installed programs and click Uninstall.
- Now, download and reinstall Adobe Flash Player.
The QuickBooks error 1904 message mentions about QBversionTool.dll
- Right-click on the empty space on the desktop and from the New drop-down menu, select Notepad.
- Enter QBTEST in the notepad file and using the File menu save the file on the desktop.
- Move the file to the folder where the company file is saved.
- In case if the permissions are not set appropriately, you will get an error saving the file in the folder.
- To resolve the error you will need to install QuickBooks as an administrator.
Hopefully, the solutions mentioned in this article have helped you resolve QuickBooks error 1904. In case of any difficulties following the instructions listed in this article, you can reach QuickBooks Helpdesk via helpline number.