In the programming world, languages are important and professionals get usually perplexed while justifying the language. The common confusion is Node.js vs Java where the developer has to choose one platform.
Here in this article, we will see the deep insight of the two languages to know the differences between Java vs node js. So if you want to know detailed knowledge on both concepts then carry on with your reading here.
Overview of Node.js
It is mostly used for backend development that is referred to as server-side development.
Among the full-stack developers, Node.js is widely used and one can use it for front end and back end development.
Software companies usually hire node.js developers for real-time applications and mobile application development. Fortunately, this is one of the biggest industries in the technology sector.
Merits of Node.js:
It has become a stand-alone command-line tool that excels in scalable applications. Due to the following reasons, it is widely used among developers.
- Fast working
- The same language can be used on the server-side and client-side
- One can use the lightness of the system to create Lightweight applications
- Continues development in the technology
- Professionals can use a node package manager to install and search for the package.
- Due to its unique architecting, Node.js for enterprise app development is mainly used
Where Node.js is mainly used?
There are wide areas where Node.js is used. The best use cases for Node.js are as follows.
- Translator and collector
- Scripts and CLI (Command Line Interfaces)
- SPA server and web applications
- APIs for mobile applications
- Industrial automation
- Content publishing and CMS
- Trade and Mass e-commerce
- Microcontroller programming
- Automation for the industries
- Trade and Mass e-commerce
- Window applications (Node-WebKit and nw.js)
- Event Broadcasting (Games, Chats and Interactive) and Message Servers
- Patches on already prepared systems
Overview of Java:
Java is an object-oriented programming language and typified too. James Gosling and Patrick Naughton, the Sun Microsystem engineers created this language in the year 1991.
The main principle of using JAVA is writing once and running it anywhere. It is quite portable and Java-based programs can be run easily on various operating systems and hardware.
It is one of the most popular programming languages in the world. Software companies hire java developers to run portable programs.
Merits of using JAVA:
It is a high-level language with smooth learning curves. Its simple syntax makes it easy to write, read and maintain.
It also supports many libraries. Many hosting providers support this language and one can also work from any computer with it. Due to this the Java development company hires expert developers.
The security manager of this language allows you to specify the access rule.
With this language, one can implement the Java application on Windows, compile it into the byte code and run it on any other platform.
Multi-threading and each thread are independent of the other.
Where JAVA is mainly used?
Areas, where you can use JAVA, are as follows:
- Web applications
- Software tools
- Trading applications
- J2ME application
- Android applications
- Big Data
- Scientific applications
- High-frequency trading spaces
- Embedded systems
Comparison of Java vs Node JS:
Let’s throw light on the key difference between both languages.
- Java doesn’t do anything in the front end or the browser because it is a server-side programming language. While on the other hand, Node JS could be easily used on the client-side and server-side as well.
- To create complex and concurrent applications one needs to use Java. However, for creating small-sized projects NodeJS is more suitable.
- Java uses multithreading but Node.JS doesn’t use it as effectively.
- Java requires significant computing power but Node JS is only suitable for the I/O bound task like real-time chat, media streaming and real-time collaboration.
- Struts, Spring and Tapestry are some of the popular frameworks which are based on JAVA. Node JS has various frameworks like Sails JS, Partial and Express JS.
- The JAVA could not be run without JDK (Java Development Kit) which consists of a runtime environment. Through a downloadable archive file, you can install Node.JS. The offshore Node.js developers could use it easily without any additional kit.
- Java can keep pace with the C and Python language as it is one of the most popular programming languages. Node is the framework that is based on Java that is much different from concurrency.
- Node.js is mainly used to maintain lightweight tasks but Java does high performance and hence requires a lot of memory.
- Node.js mainly uses two types of threads in which one main thread is processed by event loop and there are several other threads. In the case of Java, you can make an application and run multiple threads.
- The runtime environment of Java is Java Virtual Memory whereas Node.js is V8 Engine from Google.
Node JS is a type of framework that works well with certain projects. It will be a good choice for some developers as it is the most efficient framework. There are so many libraries and frameworks in Java that enable you to work on web development projects.
There are a lot of differences between Java and Node JS and one needs to focus on the requirements before choosing one of them.