Desktop publishing service, also known as DTP Service, makes documents look more appealing, but there is more to desktop publishing than just appearance. When used in the right manner, desktop publishing improves visual communication and streamlines the procedure of disseminating information of all types. The output files should be ready for publishing, both for print as well as distribution over the web.
Importance of Desktop Publishing
- Desktop Publishing is cost-effective: Desktop publishing is a vital tool that improves communication by making it possible to create printed and electronic documents, without the need for costly infrastructure. Apart from skilled graphic designers, almost all business owners, book publishers, website owners utilize desktop publishing for their publishing needs.
- Desktop Publishing is available to each person: Availability of reasonably priced software and computers makes it possible for end-users to create their own publications. Desktop publishing software enables the user to reorganize graphics and text on screen, change typefaces, and resize graphics. Simply by adhering to a few rules of desktop publishing, users are able to turn out specialized-looking documents.
On the other hand, multilingual desktop publishing services are usually one of the last phases in a localization project and include using the source language document or file to reproduce the design in the target language while carrying out the needed technical and cultural versions. The eventual objective of desktop publishing is to deliver a document that looks as if it were initially created in the target language.
Desktop publishing may comprise:
- Making text read from right to left
- Extracting content from files as well as non-editable formats for translation
- Changing the fonts to match the script of the target language
- Modifying the template or style sheet attached to the document
- Renewing the table of contents
- Editing graphics
- Resorting the index as per the target language
- Making adjustments in the layout to accommodate text reduction or expansion
- Addressing problems related to graphs, tables and columns
Multilingual desktop publishing is typically one of the very last steps in a translation project. The procedure involves reproducing the source document layout in the target languages, while completing all the essential technical and cultural adaptations. The desired objective of this procedure is to create a document that appears as though it were created originally in the target language.
The information and tools required for multilingual desktop publishing
Technical and software facts are of paramount importance when it comes to professional DTP. Mentioned below are certain aspects that a person needs to know:
- Knowledge of language: A DTP professional should have a good grasp of numerous languages, as a minor difference from the actual copy may result in misleading consequences. There must be clarity in understanding. If there is trouble in understanding, the DTP operator must look for help from someone who understands the language.
- Programming knowledge: Specialists catering to various clients with customized typesetting and digital prepress services possess superior programming knowledge so that they can house the whole volume of text in a specified space. This makes helps in delivering well-finished and polished documents.
- Software knowledge: This is a necessity for the professionals, as there are some language-specific variations and plugins in the software. Thus, the knowledge of industry-standard layout is vital in DTP.
- Language-specific font: In all languages, there are certain specifications associated with fonts. Thus, one requires picking language-specific fonts for the purpose.
Multilingual desktop publishing brings with it a variety of benefits, for instance enhanced aesthetical appearance, increased productivity, improved look and feel of the documents, reduced production costs, and better turnaround time etc. One of the most outstanding capabilities of multi-lingual desktop publishing is that it can assist the user to create flawless documents without having to resort to graphic designing.
DTP Labs is one of most reputed names in multilingual Desktop Publishing Services in India. Founded in the year 2002, with production houses in Bulgaria and India, the company brings to the table a matchless level of excellence, together with great turn-around time, value and quality. The company is known for successfully accomplishing even the most complicated projects for all industry segments, including medical, academic, marketing and technical.
Author Bio- Shanvi is a keen writer who loves exploring, discovering and writing down information and latest update on any new development for various fields and sharing them with the people.