Just like the many other apprehensions and inhibitions associated with the PTE Academic exam, there is one about the Spelling score as well. More and more aspirants find it difficult to score well in the spelling part of the test. There are multiple reasons for that.
The words in English are non-phonetic i.e. they sound different and are written differently. Another major reason behind the falling PTE scores is the increased use of artificial intelligence while writing literature. From using Microsoft Word to applications such as Grammarly, we are so used to technology taking care of our errors and correcting them for us that we hardly have time to take hold of these habits and correct them.
If you are taking a PTE Academic Test anytime soon, here are a few things you can keep in mind and practice as per them regularly to improve your Spelling score in PTE.
Tips to improve Spelling Score in PTE
- There are several words in the English language that are often misspelled and confusing. These are popularly known as ‘100 Demons’. Make a list of such words and practice them often with an objective to master them. Some of these words are – Choose, loose, ready, guess, lose, ache, straight, etc.
- It is not a bad idea at all to follow the old-school style of learning when it comes to learning a word. Pick up a word; write its meaning or definition. Write a few of its synonyms in front of it. And finally, make a couple of sentences using the word. This exercise will help you not just to learn the spelling of that word but also its meaning, synonyms, etc.
- Practice helps you thrive toward perfection faster. This is just a perfect saying for anyone willing to improve their spellings. The more you practice spelling, memorize it, the better you are at it. So, practice it by writing words several times and see how you will not forget it for a lifetime!
- When making an effort to learn spellings of words, remember to consider homophones as exceptions. Homophones are words that are pronounced similarly but are spelled differently and also have different meanings. For example, blue-blew, hear-here, hour-our, etc.
- While you are practicing for the PTE Test, avoid using applications such as Microsoft Word or Grammarly that automatically correct your errors without even making you realize them. Use Note or Notepad instead. Once you are done, copy-paste the text to either of these places and learn about your errors.
- How about Fragmenting the long words?
The spelling of the word “Independence” may sound hard to remember for those who are weak in English or have just started learning English.
The best way is fragmentation and this is how you can do it.
The word “Independence” can be split as,
Woohoo! wasn’t that too easy to remember?
This is the best way to learn any toughest spelling and I have been using it since my childhood days.
- Gift yourself a pocket dictionary and know the roots of the word originated from. This will make it easier for you to understand new words that are related nearly to each other. For example, the word “gen” is a Greek word with the meaning “birth”, race, and “logy” is again a Greek word with the meaning “study of”.
Now, the words like generating, genealogy, genetics, etc become somehow familiar to you, and by breaking such words you try to imagine the meaning and develop spelling-forming skills on your own.
- Try to perform several free mock tests for PTE and make a note of words that you find difficult. Make a daily habit of researching such new words that you come across and learn how to pronounce them through google, learn their meaning, also try to frame sentences using them.
It is worth mentioning here that even though correct spellings are important for a good score in PTE yet poor spelling skills are not the end of the world either. There have been instances where candidates have managed to score a perfect 90 in the writing section even while their spelling skills were not up to the mark.
So, what you must do is to join a good online PTE coaching and practice with perseverance. Good results will follow.