What is black eye?
A black eye (also called periorbital hematoma or shiner) is the condition in which the cells around the eyes are darkened or discolored.
It’s usually the result of various reasons such as nasal trauma, cosmetic surgery, allergies, injuries and cellulitis (skin infection around the eye)…
This may happen because of minor injuries around the eye. One or both eyes may be affected and some common symptoms can include:
- Dark discoloration
- Blurry vision
The following natural treatments can help you remove a black eye fast and safely. However, if you have any of these signs, you should consult your doctor immediately:
- Experience significant vision changes
- Pain and swelling are severe
- Nausea, or vomiting
How to Get Rid of a Black Eye
- Cold compress
This is one of the simplest methods that you should try at least one in your life to get rid of black eye. Cold compress can help reduce internal bleeding and swelling in the affected area. It is also useful to make the normal healing process work more effectively.
- Put some ice cubes into a plastic bag and then wrap it in a clean towel.
- Place this cold pack onto the affected area around your eye
- Leave it on for 7 – 10 minutes
- Repeat this home remedy once or twice daily until your symptoms disappear
- Warm compress
A warm compress is also an effective home remedy that helps speed up the healing process, resulting in rapid pain relief.
- Dip a cotton ball or a clean cloth in lukewarm water
- Squeeze out the excessive water.
- Place it over the affected eye
- Use this treatment 3 – 4 times a day until you notice a difference
After applying this remedy, you can gently massage if it doesn’t cause pain.
- Take vitamin C
The amount of vitamin C in your body can have a direct impact on black eye. According to a 2001 study, this vitamin can help improve the thickness of blood vessel walls and accelerate the healing process as well.
High vitamin C foods include guavas, peppers, blackberry, blueberry, papaya, peach, and orange.
Ask a doctor or pharmacist about using a vitamin C supplement to get the best results.
Arnica is also considered one of the most effective methods to remove black eye fast and safely. This herb has been proven to decrease the pain and swelling that is often accompanied by a black eye. In addition, it is also useful to strengthen weak eye muscles as well as repair damaged tissue.
Do this home treatment as soon as possible, and you can stop the bruise from being worse.
In addition, arnica is available in various formulas such as cream, gel and ointment. You should use it once or twice a day until the symptoms disappear.
Calendula (also called marigold) has been used so widely for centuries to reduce oxidative damage and inflammation. It also can help promote new tissue growth and wound closure as well.
- Wash some fresh calendula flowers and put them in a bowl.
- Pour a cup of hot water into it
- Wait for at least 12 – 15 minutes before put it in the refrigerator for one hour
- Soak a clean washcloth with this solution and squeeze out all excess water
- Place it on the affected eye and relax
- Repeat this treatment 2 – 3 times daily until you notice a different
- Witch Hazel
Many scientific studies have shown that components present in Witch hazel can help get rid of black eye without any side effects. Due to its relaxing properties, it is effective at reducing the pain and discomfort quickly.
- You can soak a cotton ball with witch hazel and squeeze out all excess water before applying it on the affected eye. Apply this home remedy at least twice a day.
- Alternatively, mix 3 – 4 drops of chamomile essential oil and ½ teaspoon of witch hazel with a cup of warm water. Stir it well and then soak a clean cotton pad in the solution. Place it onto your affected area and leave it on at least 7 – 10 minutes. Repeat this treatment 2 – 3 times a day to get the best results.
- Massage oils
Massage with natural oils can help manage inflammation and reduce swelling in your affected area. Moreover, it contains healing powers which is useful to get rid of black eye within days.
There are many different types of massage oils, including olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil and chamomile oil.
- Place 2 – 3 drops of natural massage oil into your hands
- Rub your hands together until it becomes warmer
- Gently massage your affected area for 2 – 3 minutes
- Repeat this home remedy twice daily until you feel better
Potato contains the astringent properties which is useful to accelerate wound healing and relieve the irritations fast. Moreover, it also can help ease swelling and pain as well.
- Peel the potato and cut it into a few thick pieces
- Place these slices in the refrigerator for 25 – 30 minutes
- Put this cold slice of potato over your eye and leave it on for 10 – 13 minutes
- Repeat this treatment 1 – 2 times daily until you notice a difference.
- Comfrey Roots
Comfrey Roots is also known as one of the most effective ways to remove black eye at home.
- Mix one teaspoon of comfrey root powder with some water to form a paste
- Apply this paste on your affected eye 4 – 5 times weekly to get the best results.
- Boil 500ml – 700ml water and then put some comfrey root into it
- Leave it on for 10 – 12 minutes
- Strain it and then drink this solution twice a day until the symptoms disappear.