Are you feeling satisfied with your current job role? Is your workplace fully utilizing your potential? Do you feel that you deserve something better? Do you wish to change your career? If your mind has ever come across any of these questions, then chances are that you are looking for career growth which definitely your present job is not able to provide. Generally, a lot of individuals simply start sending out resumes to seek the attention of the employers, but this is exactly what you should not do. You need to first engage in self-introspection to find out what are you actually looking for and then develop appropriate strategies to achieve your goals.
In fact, in such situations, it can be highly beneficial to approach a career expert as he will offer you proper guidance on every issue related with your career and at the same time, will act as a constant pillar of support. In addition, experienced and skilled coaches assist you in realizing your own potential, encourage self-discovery, hold you accountable for your actions and most importantly, provide honest feedback. However, since the career coaching industry is booming and everyone is claiming to be an expert, you must do a thorough research and explore all your options, before settling for any coach.
How the process of career coaching works?
- A career coaching program usually consists of one-on-one meetings, but given the current pandemic situation, you can now expect online sessions. These sessions are conducted by experienced coaches, and every session lasts for almost 45 to 60 minutes, however, it may vary from one professional to another.
- During the initial sessions, a coach gathers all the information about your past/current job experience, your life goals and career objectives to understand your personality. He may even offer you several assessments to assist you in recognizing your own strengths, weaknesses and hidden abilities. The main purpose of the first few meetings is to offer complete clarity to the coach about what you want to accomplish.
- At the end of each session, the coach will give you an activity that may either challenge you or push you out of your comfort zone to boost your confidence. He will also provide proper feedback on where you were correct during the interaction and where you require improvement.
- The career expert will hold you accountable for all your actions and will make sure that you do not distract away from your goals and work harder to achieve them. And this is undoubtedly one of the major reasons why people approach career coaches.
Things you should not expect from career coaching
There is no doubt about the fact that a career coach can help you accelerate your career as well as personal growth, however, people often carry certain misinterpretations about coaching that result in unrealistic expectations, frustration and disappointments. So, before you sign up for coaching, here are a few things that you should remain clear about.
- A coach can never guarantee you an ideal job – Whether you are about to start your career, switch your career or you want a better salary in the same field, a coach is there only to act as a facilitator and he can never guarantee you a job as he can only show you the right path to reach your goals.
- Things do not change in one session – Unless you want only few tips regarding your career, you will need more than one session to actually even realize what exactly your goals are. Coaching is a process, where you slowly discover your interests and skills, and it can take you even months to achieve your goals, depending on what they are.
- Success of coaching depends on your commitment – Needless to say, coaching is a two-way road, where your commitment definitely matters a lot. You must be willing to engage in the process, participate in the activities, experiment different things and work harder towards your own personality, as if you are not committed, the process will never be successful.
Conclusion Regardless of what kind of issue you are dealing with in your career, approaching a career expert can act as a life-altering decision. Such experts know exactly how to make you discover your own potential and your goals. They make sure to guide you, support you and hold you accountable at every step of your growth process to ensure positive results. However, you must keep in mind that in the end it is your commitment that truly matters.