You may leave no stones unturned to maintain your dental hygiene. You may brush your teeth twice for a couple of minutes twice daily, floss and also rinse your mouth with mouthwash. Not only that, you also may not miss a single appointment with your dentist.
But by doing all these if you think that your mouth is completely clean, think again!
As far as dental hygiene is concerned, the tongue happens to be one of the most neglected parts of the mouth. But it is where hosts of bacteria rest and it must be cleaned thoroughly for a comprehensive hygiene upkeep of your mouth.
Not paying your attention to cleaning your tongue can result in a number of problems and that is why dentists suggest that you should also brush your tongue on a regular basis.
Here are some of the reasons why cleaning the tongue is of pivotal significance.
- Fresh Breath – One of the primary sources of bad breath happen to be the bad bacteria in the mouth that comprise of the fungi, food debris and bacteria. The good bacteria in the mouth do its best to drive away with these germs but they require assistance for that. Only by scraping your tongue you can push away the stinky bacteria and thus can have fresher breath that last for hours together.
- Enhance Your Taste – You may find the flavours of your food to be muted as your tongue surface is covered with bacteria. So if you brush and clean your teeth regularly you can expose more of the taste buds and can enjoy the taste of your food much more.
- Reduce the Risk of Gum Disease – You also reduce the bacteria that can get caught in the gums by keeping your tongue clean. These bacteria in the gums inevitably lead to gum disease or gingivitis. This is a serious issue that can affect your overall health and for that too, you should keep your tongue clean.
- Nigh Guards – Many people who suffer from teeth grinding and clenching wear night guards at the time of sleeping. If you put on this device as an orthodontic treatment or to control clenching of teeth all through the night then more bacteria can accumulate on the tongue. Brushing and scraping the tongue help to get rid of some of the germs that have been deposited over the night.
- Dental Health – Plaque build-up is something that happens automatically if there is excessive bacteria in the mouth. All sorts of unwanted dental issues like dental decay, cavities and tooth loss can happen because of plaque. For your overall health it is vital to keep your whole mouth bacteria-free and clean.
The above are some of the major reasons why you should brush and pay attention to the cleanliness of your tongue like you do for the rest of your mouth. Just like you go for teeth cleaning and polishing at the best teeth polishing cost for a healthy and dazzling smile, similarly for a clean and unfailing oral health you should go for tongue cleaning on a regular basis.